The government of India has appointed two entities for all your pan related queries
NSDL e-governance Infrastructure limited.
UTI Infrastructure services limited.
How To Apply?
- If your pan card has been lost then you can submit a new application to process a duplicate copy of pan card.
- You can apply both online as well as offline for a new copy of your pan card
- Offline through the facilitation CENTRES SET UP BY NSDL AND UTI
- And online by visiting the website of NSDL and UTI.
- In case of a lost pan card you have to fill out the form using your old pan card.
Note that you cannot have more than 1 pan card, it is illegal and you might have to go to jail for that, so you have to submit your old pan card in the beginning of the form.
If you have forgot your old pan number then before filing for a lost pan card application, go to the income tax website
Here’s the link https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/home
On left most side there will be an option for KNOW YOUR PAN
Click on that and a new page will open, fill in your basic information like your name, date of birth etc. and you will be provided with an intimation letter that you can use as a proof for your old pan card.
- In case you are filling the form for correction of PAN , check the box on the left hand side of the form and update the information but if you are applying for a lost pan and no correction is to be made then don’t check any box on the left.
- Now you have to submit the documents required,
For a lost pan card you have to submit a proof of the old pan card, it can be any one of the following,
- Scanned copy/photo of a pan card.
- In case you don’t have any copy of a pan card, then you can attach a copy of intimation letter issued by the income tax department.
- If both of these documents are not available then you can attach a copy of FIR stating the loss of old pan card.
If you cannot submit a proof of lost pan card then your application will be processed on a ‘good effort’ basis but if in future any mismatch is found between the pan and information available in the I.T database, then application may not be processed further and the fees that you will pay might be forfeited.
FEES for pan card processing-
If the address provided by the applicant is within India then the fees will be Rs.110
If the communication address provided is outside the territorial boundaries of India then the fees will be Rs. 1,020
On successful payment of the fees a 15-digit unique identification number will be generated which will be used for future reference. Save the acknowledgement and take a print out.
Sign the acknowledgement, affix your photo attach the copy of old pan/intimation letter by IT dept./F.I.R
And post it to this address-
Income Tax PAN Services Unit,
NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited,
5th Floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341,
Survey No. 997/8,Model Colony,
Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune – 411 016.